Are you getting ready to buy a car? Because if you are, there is one thing you must do — purchase auto insurance. You cannot drive a vehicle without insurance, so this should be the first thing you do after you make your vehicle purchase. If you are not sure how to get a quote, here are some tips to help you know what the process is and what information you must supply the agent when requesting a quote.
Contact an Insurance Agency
There are three ways you can request a quote for vehicle insurance:
- Call an insurance agency.
- Visit an agency in person.
- Ask for a quote online.
You can choose any method you prefer, but when you ask for the quote, make sure you have all the following details available to provide to the agency.
Provide the Agent with the Following Information
Insurance agents are not able to provide quotes without the following details:
- Your personal information — The agent will need basic details about who you are, including your name, address, and phone number.
- Your driver's license — You must also supply your driver's license at the time of your request as this tells the agent a lot about your risk level for insurance.
- The car's information — Agents always need the VIN from a vehicle before offering a quote as the VIN tells a lot of details about the vehicle.
- The lienholder — If you have a loan on the car, the lienholder is the name of your auto lender.
- The coverage types you want — Finally, you must tell the agent what coverage types and amounts you would like to have with your insurance coverage.
After you provide this information, the agent can offer you a quote within minutes.
Get a Second Quote and Compare the Rates and Coverage
When you get the quote, you can do one of several things. You can accept it and pay the amount necessary to get the policy started. Another option is to contact other insurance companies to price shop for your coverage. If you decide to do this, make sure you get quotes for comparable coverage. After that, compare the coverage types and amounts as well as the policy rates.
If you need a quote for auto insurance, this is the process you will need to complete. To get an insurance quote, call or visit an insurance agent in your town today.